September 8, 2011

Day 8–Moving on up…

First, a clarification:  Chipotle still cost me $13.  That's right.  CHEAT CENTRAL over here.  Wasn't sure how to feed the kids, but retrospectively, I could have ordered them the same thing I got.  Instead, I ordered kids meals.  I'm still a bit irked at myself about the $13 (don't even ask AB how he felt about it...grrr) because it really was nonsense that I didn't order in such a way that nothing was spent.  Ah well, done beating myself up.  The bowl I had was free, and it was fabulous. 

Just keeping it real - I'm not perfect, that's fo' sho'
Moving on...

I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t craving anything or needing convenience stops.  For instance, Starbucks called to me…sang to me…on my way home from dropping the babies at school.  That was lousy.  Taco Bell was beckoning tonight as I tried to wrestle too many demands, too few strands of patience, and being totally worn out!  Dinner?  I don’t wanna make dinner.  I don’t wanna stand upright, either.  I want to crash into that soft bed and not come out until morning.  But it was Back to School Night for Quint, it was high-demand work load, it was cranky toddlers, it was Daddy has to work tonight…all that stuff rolled up and making me long for convenience. 

Still, I resisted and got myself up and into the kitchen to make dinner.  And I made way too much – but that’s why left-overs are a good thing.  Especially in this challenge.  Always something homemade to eat in the fridge.  Not ashamed to admit that Anton’s somethings usually taste much better than my own…but who’s judging?

Day 8 Menu:

Breakfast – English Muffins
Lunch – Egg Salad Sandwiches.  Kids had bento and I have no great pics to share, because I was running out the door this morning to get them there on-time.
Dinner – Enchiladas made by yours truly.  Sort of …here’s your quick recipe brought to us all by my friend Emily who taught me this trick years ago.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Brown ground beef with some taco seasoning, chopped onion, and a can of black beans.

IMG_6137

In a separate pan prepare some Spanish Rice.  You can use the 7 minute Lipton brand, it’s delish!

Combine the rice/beef/bean mixture in a bowl with some shredded cheese (up to you how much cheese you prefer) and half can of Enchilada Sauce (but don’t make it soupy…too much and they’ll be all gooey).  Give it a good stir until well combined.

Scoop mixture into flour tortilla shells (not too much or it’s hard to roll) and roll up like a burrito.

Place open side down in a glass baking dish.

Cover with the rest of the Enchilada sauce

IMG_6148

Cover top with cheese

IMG_6149

Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Or until cheese is slightly browned.  Whatever you prefer.

IMG_6153

Done!  Scoop and serve – and you can make many variations.  Sometimes I just do beef/onion instead of the rice/bean addition.  You can also do this with Chicken/Green Enchilada Sauce – YUMMY.  Great with a side of salsa, guac, or sour cream.

Onward to Day 9!  Here's to no more slip-ups!

5 comments :

Hannah said...

Just put that behind you and continue to move forward. No biggie. That enchilada dish looks just right for my skill level and our appetites. I am giving this one a try...thanks

Lynda said...

I felt a bit strange today when going to Sam's club with my daughter and refusing to look at anything that might tempt me. Just the fruit she needed for her friends baby shower fruit kabobs and a gallon of milk for me. Was the fastest trip in and out I've ever made there!!! My budget does appreciate all this though.

Kayce said...

Yes here's to a new day and a new week ahead!! I am at this point feeling like I should just lock myself in the house to resist any temptations outside! LOL!!

aivb said...

Another encouraging story to share... I have been playing along annonymously this month. I host a once a month scrapbook nite for friends and family. This usually includes a starbucks run (= to your chipotle affinity is my STBX). I was feeling badly about not wanting to spend tonight and I do already have a self loaded and registered gift card. So last night I asked God for a frequent buyer free drink coupon in the mail so that I could enjoy my sweet pleasure with my friends this evening guilt free. Guess what I got in the mail today!! ASK God and He rewards those who earnestly seek HIM! Praising God for His gift of a pumpkin spice latte today! CHEERS to no spending!

aivb said...

Another encouraging story to share... I have been playing along annonymously this month. I host a once a month scrapbook nite for friends and family. This usually includes a starbucks run (= to your chipotle affinity is my STBX). I was feeling badly about not wanting to spend tonight and I do already have a self loaded and registered gift card. So last night I asked God for a frequent buyer free drink coupon in the mail so that I could enjoy my sweet pleasure with my friends this evening guilt free. Guess what I got in the mail today!! ASK God and He rewards those who earnestly seek HIM! Praising God for His gift of a pumpkin spice latte today! CHEERS to no spending!