November 21, 2011

An amazing child…

IMG_8101-rev

Quint’s surgery is over and he is sleeping.  I have so much to say about this…and so many emotions running through my heart, I don’t even know where to begin. 

What is a normal routine surgery for so many, was anything but for little Quint.  We had so much riding on this surgery and so many issues and health concerns that all tied back to it going well.  It was imperative, we knew that.  But it turned out to be a matter of life and death, and that, we had no way of knowing.  We were on a time-clock we didn’t even know existed. 

My instinct upon hearing this as the surgeon talked us through the surgery, was initially dismay.   I was disappointed in myself for not knowing, somehow.  For not being able to tie all the symptoms together and as ridiculous as it sounds, know that he was in trouble.  But that’s a useless cycle to get caught in.  You mean we could have lost him?  Any given day he could have just slipped away from us…

Yes…he could have.  Far too easily.  And it makes me shudder in fear to even think it…

But he’s an amazing child.

Quint’s surgeon is a kind and mild-mannered ENT with an incredible bedside manner.  He had built a relationship with Quint over the past several months that had set us all at ease.  We sought out the best, and found the best.  It was that simple.  But he was more than a doctor to Quint, he was genuinely concerned and invested in the outcome and gave us hope that we had all but lost.

He said it repeatedly…”that’s an amazing boy”.  He also said things like “I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire career” and “I don’t know how he was breathing or functioning or eating”.  But he returned it all with these words…

“ As the surgery got underway, I kept looking down at Quint and thinking what an amazing little boy he is.  I just know in my heart he’s going to do something amazing in his life.  God has certainly had his hand on him.  There is a big purpose for this little guy.  Plain and simple.”

IMG_8106-rev

I couldn’t agree more.

He’s an amazing child…

And we are beyond blessed to have front row seats to the amazing things that he will surely do.

More to come.

5 comments :

Ms. Pollywog said...

I am so glad that he is recovering. Hugs to you and your family! Prayers for your sweet, amazing boy!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh, dang. Leaving us hanging like that is just plain cruel :) But so glad to know that he's recovering. Will try to wait patiently for the rest of the amazing story to come.

tap..... tap.... tap..... sigh.

Eloise said...

Sweet baby! I am SO thankful his surgery went well and that any danger was averted.

I'm not sure if Quint had his tonsils out during this surgery, but I went through that with Will two years ago (he had struggled with strep throat for years, but it was an abscessed tonsil - very painful and dangerous - that led to the surgery). My advice to you if a tonsillectomy was involved would be to stay on top of the pain meds; I set my alarm during the night to make sure we stayed on schedule. We also used a humidifier which seemed to help; when their throat gets dry, the pain gets worse.

Glad the surgery is behind you. Praise be to God for His love and care for precious Quint. Hugs to you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ashley said...

Glad everything went well with the surgery. Praying for a quick recovery for your amazing little guy.

Jen said...

I will continue to pray! Thanks for sharing.