March 25, 2010

Three Anton's

Have I ever told you this story?  No?

Well, Quint is the great-great grandson of Anton.  And then his great-grandfather, grandfather, and father - also all Anton's.  My husband is IV (or the 4th).


Quint is the fifth and as is tradition, he was named not after his father, but his grandfather, Anton Sr.


His name is a nice, long, formal and beautiful tradition in my husband's family that hopefully will continue on down the line.

And to keep things simple around our family, we call him QuintBecause he's the 5th.  And Quint means "five".  I know, you already knew that...but still...


There are only three of those generational Anton's living, and I love capturing pictures of them whenever I can.

It's beautiful for me to see that my sweet boy - this little baby all the way from a tiny village in Africa - will carry on the family name his Daddy gave to him the day he was placed in our arms for the first time.

And a grandfather who is proud to share his name with that little boy...




It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.  ~Johann Schiller

 

13 comments :

The Gang's Momma! said...

I actually did NOT know all that - what a great legacy to carry on. So clever, using Quint to differentiate all the Antons ;)

LOVE the pics - especially the one of them all walking together. One of my most fave pics of my boys is one of them walking up the hill at Grandpa's away from me holding hands. I framed it and hung it on their wall - to remind them and me of what is most important in life ;) This one of your Antons is a framer . . .

Christy said...

Those are great pictures! Cant belive how much they all look alike :)

Christy :)

Emy said...

So sweet! I didn't realize that Quint was an Anton too, I love family traditions!!!

Eloise said...

What a wonderful legacy for Quint! Just wait until he's old enough to realize that he and his beloved Daddy have the same name. He will find that very exciting!

I love family names. My son is named for his dad (though he's called by his middle name) and my girls are named for my mother and Robert's mother (just as my sister and I were named for our grandmothers and my mother and her sister were named for theirs).

Single PAP said...

lovely. and didn't know quint was a nickname. very cute.

Kim said...

LOVE IT..
You have me crying.. LOVE generation photos..
BEAUTIFUL photos..
Hugs..

Kelly & Todd said...

I had no idea. I'm so glad you shared the story with us - I loved hearing it and love the family tradition that is being carried on.

Have a great weekend -- kelly :-)

Anonymous said...

Little one, and you are to me because I am old and you could easily be my daughter, I love you.
I would be proud to be your neighbor, your mother or your friend. Thanks for letting me learn to know you a bit.
Gillian

S.Wise said...

I love the history and the meaning behind it all. What a great tradition for Quint!

Oma B said...

This is Grandma speaking. Grandma belonging to Anton Sr. Not only are the Antons named after their grandfather, but all of them are the oldest sons in each family. So we hope and pray that someday Quint will name his oldest son after his son's grandfather!
So thankful the Lord gave us a loving, wonderful, thoughtful, talented daughter-in-law - we are blessed!

Angie Wells said...

What a beautiful story! I would love to add your blog link to ours. Let me know if that is ok!

raisingafricaschild.blogspot.com

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I love it when family names are shared....and his is cute! Love the pic of all 3 of them!

We have a Trey in our family (my nephew), but haven't made it to five (or Quint) yet!

Have a great Saturday!
Tammy

Ruby's Fairy Godmother said...

Christy, how beautiful. I was also named for my grandmother's..My grandmother (mother's mother) Norah was a 5th generation Norah...I am a 6th. My middle name Elizabeth was my father's mother's middle name. So I have been bless with names from two Godly woman. My sister was named for our Great Grandmother's! Pretty neat!
Norah
By the way, I had the pleasure of meeting your friend Valeria and her adorable little ones...what a treat!