March 14, 2011

Her Royal Highness, The Princess of the King

IMG_0858

It’s hard to feel like a Royal Princess, isn’t it?  But if God is our King, and we are His children…well...


I don't know how you spend your days.  But lately? 

I spend the majority of my days changing diapers, serving meals, acting as a referee for toddler spats, raising my voice far too much, kissing ouchies, grooming hair, washing faces and hands, cleaning dishes, sorting mounds of dirty and then clean laundry, feeding the dog, wiping counters, cleaning up spills, solving earth shattering issues like who took what toy from whom and when will he or she give it back - and all while shlubbing around in grubby sweats and a stained t-shirt with yesterday’s remnant makeup on and frizzy hair piled high on my head. 

Doesn’t that sound sooooo glamorous? 

Doesn’t that sound sooooo familiar?

Not much like a Royal Princess is it?

It’s hard to keep an eternal perspective when you’re knee deep in daily life.  Hard to keep your focus fixed on the Lord, when all you really want to do is find a corner to cry in.  Or sleep.  Whichever. 

But do you know what God says in 1 Peter 2:9?
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”

What a proclamation over our lives!  Ladies – this is BIG STUFF!  Why have we been given such a title?  Well, the verse tells us, doesn’t it?  To DECLARE the praises of the One who gave us that title! 

Do you think that God knew full well when He made me that I would have days (many, many days) like the one I described above?  That I would have moments where I felt I could not raise another finger to do my “duty” as wife and mother?  And do you think He knew that when He granted me with that glorious title, there might be some times that I would feel less like royalty and more like a lowly servant?

Yes!  Of course, He did!  And that’s why His loving care and demonstrative words in 1 Peter give me such HOPE!  He knew me and YET He loved me and gave me His favor!

Even on my worst, hardest day – I am still all of those things to God.  He doesn’t see the worn out sweats and stained t-shirt…He sees ME.  His Daughter!  His Princess!  His special, holy, chosen child! 

And I believe He really wants us to remember that even during these difficult “trench living” years – you are still offering a Praise offering to God.  Serving my children and helping them to grow in God’s purpose…even when it just means feeding, dressing, brushing teeth, and reading the same story over and over and over again, and yes – even resolving toddler spats - that’s still a beautiful declaration of praise to a Living Holy God!  The same God who loves my children with a burning passion!  The same God who has called them out of darkness and into the light!  Out of all the mother’s the world over – He put them in my care.  What an awesome commission!  Knowing I would have days like today.  Days like the one I’ve shared with you.  He knows they are right where they are supposed to be.  And that’s what we have to remember.  You are never out of His love

For me, it’s so hard to remember to live in that place.  But this is TRUTH to walk in – You ARE: Chosen.  Royal.  Holy. God’s SPECIAL possession.  And our response?  “Declare the praises of Him who called you OUT of darkness into His wonderful LIGHT”!

I don’t know how you do it over in your world, but at my place…some days can feel like an awful lot of darkness.  Not because I’m wallowing in depression.  No.  Because I’m muddling through Life!  For me, that’s the grind of living in the toddler trenches.  For you?  Maybe that’s the stress of trying to start a family.  Or perhaps the pressures of trying to raise Godly teenagers.  Or maybe just trying to fulfill your career path in a hustle and bustle fast paced office! 

It's easy to forget that God is at work for GOOD for those who Love Him! Romans 8:28 reminds us:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

So let’s review:

Only the good things in our lives? 

All things!

Even when my kids aren’t behaving and the laundry is piled up and I can’t remember what I’m doing after circling the house three times??

All things!

Even when my boss is disappointed in me or doesn’t take notice when I do great things?

All things!

Even when we feel hopeless?  Or sad?  Or unsure?

Sweet friends, ALL THINGS.  God works for the GOOD of those who love Him.  That means that even if you’re too tired to make things good today – or even tomorrow…God is still at work for GOOD.  You are still his SPECIAL POSESSION.  His treasure. 

You are still His Princess.  No matter what your t-shirt looks like.  Or your hair.  Or how high your laundry is piled up.

Be proud of where you are. 

Be proud of who you are. 

And let your life praise the One who has called you out of darkness and into His wonderful light…