January 22, 2009

Day Eight & A Farewell to Good Eats

Heading into day eight, we had a confirmation of the sorry kind - referrals that came in only covered 2 days into March. The kind of referral batch that was so small our agency didn't even get any referrals. (ok, except for a few expedited families) So that's that. And as I said, I'm sad for those families who were so hopeful this time only to have their hopes dashed. We really weren't surprised at all - at least not very.

Two items of note for day eight were that 1) AB had to leave town for a conference and won't be home until Sunday and 2) a dear friend took Quint and I out for a yummy lunch. So technically, I ate out. But I didn't pay for it, so we're calling it a wonderful treat! (sssssshhhh, it was the best kind of treat too....Sushi!!)

So this leaves me to both warn you and confess to you - when I say I can't cook, I'm not just throwing that out like a lousy excuse for not wanting to cook because I happen to be married to the world's best husband chef ever. I'm saying "Won Can't Cook". I'm saying, don't come looking here for anymore of those tantalizing pictures of amazing food until Sunday evening. Sorry my peeps. It just ain't gonna happen. Here's what you get instead:

Breakfast: See previous seven posts. Seriously.

Lunch: Japanese and it was delish...thank you so much Desiree for the wonderful meal and the always lovely company. You are a dear friend!

Dinner: Ha! Don't say I didn't warn you, ok? **Note to AB: Come Home.


Dessert: I did manage to make one of my favorite winter cookie recipes, Almond Tea Cookies. Of course, it would help tons if the weather outside indicated in the slightest bit that it actually was winter - and not say, 77 degrees. Yeah. So moving on...

Here's the recipe because these are just such good cookies - especially when they're warm out of the oven:


2 Cups Bisquick
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter or Margarine
1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts
1 generous tsp Almond Extract
1-3 tablespoons of water (only enough to moisten batter slightly)

Mix all ingredients until a heavy batter forms. Shape into 1 inch balls and load onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until set, not browned. Cool for 5 minutes and then gently roll each cookie in powdered sugar. Then ENJOY!


The good thing about these cookies, is that they are light and good anytime of day. Breakfast with a cup of coffee, afternoon snack with a hot cup of tea, or even as a late night snack. Really yummy and so easy to make.

I'll leave you with a picture that we took for Daddy tonight....we miss you, be safe and we'll see you Sunday!

2 comments :

Christy said...

check you out you non eating out stud!! I am so impressed!! We so need to join you on this little trip as we spend crazy amounts of money that we do not have on eating out-- it is horrible!! Good for you guys!!!

Christy

Jodi said...

I'm sorry about the referrals! I was so hoping you would see and hold your Keira soon! I will continue to pray that the referrals will speed up!

Hey, that dinner looks like our dinners most nights! Just wait til Q and A are 15 and 12 - busy, busy, busy!!!

Hang in there!