May 15, 2008

Somebody say "72 hours"

Somebody said to me tonight "what is your current level of excitement". I had to think about it. I know that somewhere inside I'm brimming with excitement - but I haven't allowed myself time to process it. I've been busy with chores, tasks, lists, packing (actually...haven't done that yet), more lists, and appointments, etc. that I've successfully kept my actual excitement at bay. Don't get me wrong. It's in there. It is! But I can only hold so much in my tank and at some points I have to let the excitement go long enough to accomplish what I need to do.

Sometimes it hits me like "WOW! I'm going to Africa! - what an adventure". Other times it's more like "yowza...can't wait until we're back at home". Some times it's "jeesh, not so thrilled about this but gotta get my little man home" and other times it's like "this is going to be the trip of a lifetime (right along side China)". So I go back and forth. Emotionally, it's a little bit chaotic. You're up and down, and back around, and low and high, and back and forth. It's crazy - I cannot even lie. You have high moments where you are like "get me on that friggin plane!" and others where you feel like "come on May 28th!" Regardless, that's all about the trip - not anything to do with Quint.

Some days I wonder if I can do this (little late, eh?) and some days I'm RARING to go. Most days - raring. Some days - iffie. Adoptive Moms-to-be, you'll totally get what I'm saying the minute it's on you.

As I type this, AB is installing the carseat in my car, the pets are happily snoring on the rug, and I am comforted by my wireless internet connection, a cup of ice water, and air conditioning. In a few days, all the comforts of home and my pets, my warm and fluffy bed and cool house, my car and knowledge of my whereabouts, my blanket of familiarity and the luxuries of safe water and predictable meals will be thousands of miles away. All that will remain are my suitcase, the stability of my husband's love and his knowledge of world travel, and the burning desire to see and hold Quint in my arms. All else will fade in that moment of truth. I'm pretty certain that the phrase "home is where your family is" will never be more true than 72 hours from now.

As promised, some pictures of Quint's room. We're quite happy with it, though it's still a bit of a work in progress. It's definitely ready for him - and the only things needed are aesthetic. I'm still gathering last minute things together, but at this point it's sink or swim. I'm on a plane at 8am Saturday morning. If I've forgotten something at that point - it's a little late to worry about it.




*note the globe is set to Africa...



16 comments :

Suz said...

How exciting!! I love the nursery and can't wait until there is a cute face smiling at all of us from in there!!!!!!
luv,
suz

Suz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

LOVE Quint's room...I can not wait to see you standing in there with him in your arms..
I can' wait...
HUGS...

Robyn said...

Girl.....whether you know it or not, YOU ARE READY!!!! I can't wait until we meet you at the airport and see you coming through with your little man. We are so excited for you. Have a great time, it really will be the trip of a lifetime, for a multitude of reasons!!

Counting down until we see Quint in your arms!!!

Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish we could be there for you like you were for us when we got Noah that meant so much to us. It definetly caused us all to have a close bond. I cannot wait for you to come to Cali to show him off. Have fun and hurry home so you can post pictures......love you guys
Michele (cali cousin)

Briana's Mom said...

I'm coming out of my bloggy break for a minute to wish you the best of luck!!! Can't wait to see Quint in your arms!

Dena said...

His room looks great, looks like you've got lots of storage - good move!
Seriously, once you get on that plane, all the getting ready is OVER, and the excitement begins. You and Anton will have so much fun, and then wah la - you'll be holding Quint and looking at each other saying "is this really happening?". Adrenaline kicks in, and before you know it, you're home.
Can't wait to see pictures!
Praying,
Dena

Kayce said...

OHH SO exciting!!!! Love the room Christy! AB did a fab job! Enjoy the next 72 hours!!

Jiinkin Design Team said...

Quint's nursery looks awesome!!! 72 hours.... YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!!!!!

Kelly & Todd said...

I just can't stop thinking about you and I'm so very excited for you both. Just think - tomorrow morning you're off for the trip of a lifetime. I wish you nothing but happiness and very safe travels. I can't wait to finally see a picture of your sweet little man.

Best wishes -- kelly :-)

PS - I love Quint's room!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you as you bring home your little boy - what an amazing adventure ahead of you!! So excited for you! ~Holly

Emy said...

Almost there. Is this your last post??? AHHH!!! I hope you have a wonderful trip and I pray the next 72 hours fly by until you have Quint in your arms!! Praying, praying, praying for you!!

Young Creations said...

Have a great trip. You are creating memories of a lifetime. You will be seeing your son for the first time in real life. How exciting. I will be thingking ang praying for you. Enjoy every single minute. Have safe travels.
Lauren

Linda said...

What a Great Time!! Praying for a great trip for you and waiting to see Quint in Mom & Dad's arms. Love to see New Families formed...Have a safe journey .. will be waiting to see pictures... Linda

Anonymous said...

Even in the labor room with my first child, I was wondering if I could back out of the deal, but quickly realized that it's too late. There's lots of emotions going on, but the end result (with childbirth or adoption) is that you have a new precious one in your life to love forever! How wonderful is that?!
Praying for a safe journey for all of you.
...excited...can't wait...wish I was there...hugs, hugs, hugs....we're with you!
Lots of love, Julie

JoAnn in NJ said...

I am wishing you safe and comfortable travels on your way to your beloved son!

Every emotion you've blogged about is spot on.

I am cheering you on in NJ!
Enjoy the ride!