May 8, 2008

One Sick Puppy

Today - under my desk where I work

Literally...

No update to tell - except we return to the vet tomorrow for an ultra sound. Please pray she's not sick with some terrible illness. It's breaking our hearts...

I sit with her, I rub her tummy, I talk to her and pray for her...I tell her we love her, and that we need her to get better so she can be a big "sister" in a few weeks. I watch her eat (or try to) and I watch her go to the bathroom. I even, dare I admit, go and inspect it a little to make sure it's "normal". I speak gently to her and I try to get down on her level as many times a day as I can to make her more comfortable.

Some of you might think this is all rediculous - but to me it's as natural as the sky is to the clouds. These little four legged babies are the only thing I've ever known and they are the closet to nurturing and parenting that I've ever come (for about another week - gulp..whole nother' story) To lose Kaleigh or to leave when she is so ill will break my heart into. But if need be, we will board her with our vet so they can keep a close watch on her and take care of her should any problems arise. I can't leave this situation in the hands of an unknowing petsitter. That would be so unfair to Kaleigh and the sitter.

This and many other worries are the current state of "me". I'm stressed, overwhelmed, and coping the best I can. I'm following a dog around 24/7 and I should be making lists and checking them twice. I should be shopping for last minute details. Instead, I'm lying on the floor staring into the most pathetic pair of brown eyes I've ever seen. And they do me in. And they keep me there when I should be unloading the dishwasher or doing a load of laundry.

Maybe Kaleigh, without meaning to of course, is keeping me sane by forcing me to stay grounded and think about very basic needs being met like food, water, sleep, bathroom - she's keeping me there and I'm willing. Under any other circumstance, you could not pry my cold dead hands from my fretting about, oh say, a GINORMOUS FREAKING TRIP a week from Saturday. But she has managed the unthinkable - she has forced me to stop and deal with one thing and one thing only. Her wellness.

Gotta go...time to get her to take some medicine...

Pray.

7 comments :

Christy said...

Im so sorry about your little furry baby girl!! I know it is so hard watching them suffer and knowing there is not much you can do for them. It is heartbreaking but you will handle the stress-- you wont get more than you can handle and in a week you will be on a plane to get the most precious gift in the world. I cant belive it is only a week away. I am so excited for you!!!!

Christy :)

Unknown said...

oh I know that feeling my friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor sweet little grandaughter. I love her so much and I can't think about anything bad happening to her either. I'm sorry honey. I know how deeply we feel about our precious fur babies. Kiss her and tell her that grandma is praying for her. I love you both sweetie and am praying for you too!
Love, Mom

Briana's Mom said...

I am praying for your precious fur baby!

Kayce said...

Lots of prayer for you!! We are going through a very similar thing with one of our furbabies right now. Your in my thoughts.

Lili said...

sending lots of prayer for Kaleigh... GET BETTER SOON!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH Christie, I feel so bad for you and your baby. Tica did a similar thing when she was a little younger. She ate dirt, not as much as Kaleigh, but we had to get x-rays and then saw the blockage in her intestine. It was dirt. It did come out in a few days, and her stool was almost all dirt. She was sick but did better after it passed. I hope Kaleigh can pass her dirt out of her little body and feel all better for her new little bro coming into the house. Our thoughts are with you for her and for your big adventure a week from now, YIPPEEEEEEEE
Love you
deany