May 21, 2008

GOTCHA!!!!!!










Hello Family and Friends!
It is Monday night for us and we have the long awaited pictures of our little man – FINALLY! You’ve all been so patient! So as you can see, I wasn’t kidding – Quint is a precious baby. His smile is infectious and his laugh is amazing. Our time with him today was beyond words. But let me try….

After fourteen hours of plane riding, we finally arrived in Addis this morning. We were sooooo happy to get off that plane! It wasn’t that the flight crew was bad – actually, the flight itself was fine – just LONG. Unfortunately, two rows back we had a family with two boys who they refused to control in any way. The younger of the two was a toddler who screamed and threw a temper tantrum for about 11 of the 14 hours of flight. It was a nightmare! When he wasn’t screaming full out, he was running up and down the isle or passed out on his Dad’s shoulder. So sleep was very difficult and that made me extremely cranky.

After we made it through getting our Visa, going through Customs, and then going again through another scanning process – we made it outside and our attorney met us at the terminal. It was a relief just to have someone know who we were. Fortunately, we also got to fly with some new friends – another family staying in the guest house and adopting a little girl. We went to the attorney’s office and finished our paperwork for Quint and then it was off to the guest house to settle in.

To be honest, the ride over put me into a state of culture shock. I can’t even deny it. AB predicted it would happen – but I didn’t realize it would hit me so bad. No amount of trying on my part could summon my happy place. Despite the real reason we were here – I was just saddened by what I saw. Actually, partially sad but on the other hand just bewildered. It takes some getting used to. The poverty level is just kind of surreal. The hard part is not applying American standards to this culture – after all, that’s unrealistic and unfair.

In the meantime, we arrived at our guest house, which was very quaint. The grounds are full of flowers and plants; there are about six “property” dogs, and four large tortoises. They are hilarious! Our room is small but nice and has a crib. Since our meals are included, we’ve been able to have lunch and dinner – which were both good. Not only that, but there are bottles of coke of the table – now they’re speaking my language!! Whahoo! But no ice…boo hoo! But cold…yaaay!

Well, we couldn’t put it off for much longer after lunch – so we packed up our cameras and video and off we went to the orphanage. I wasn’t really prepared – once again. It was hard to see all the little kids wandering around, but all of sudden I was as ready as I’ve ever been to see him. It was like all the jetlag and mental wear and tear was gone and I started to get weepy. I tried to pull it together, since I didn’t want to scare him by blubbering all over him. They asked me a couple questions – like his name, etc. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a lady approaching with a little baby – and I just knew. I stood up and tears started streaming, but I was so happy to see him that I just smiled as he came around the corner. All the while, AB is snapping pictures and taking movie – both hands going.

As the nanny held him, I reached out and said “hello son!” and he gave me the biggest smile - I was PUTTY! Melted into the floor like a big pile of goo. He came right to me and after that, Anton and I spent the next two and a half hours just taking him in. First of all, he smelled good. Second, he was in the cutest little outfit – a little safari jumper. Third, he was Mr. Giggles – he laughed out loud and smiled all the time. He is such a delight, my friends!

We did notice that he seems to have a cold or something because he coughed quite a bit and had nasal drainage as well. (I’m trying to say it politely). All the babies, we were told, seem to get this and keep it going around. Other than that – he was happy and healthy, and was genuinely relaxed with us. For a while, I just sat in a chair and he just nestled in my arm and hung out. He did not cry the entire time we had him, and just really seemed to be well cared for.

What can I tell you? He is an utter DELIGHT and joy! We could not be happier or prouder, or more in love. I had fears about meeting him – what if I don’t take to him or him to me, what if, what if, what if. All out the window. He is such a sweet baby and he is our SON! I truly felt that mother instinct kick in immediately (and I was a big skeptic that it would not). I cried when we had to leave him, but his paperwork has one more step – and he will be ready tomorrow (Tuesday). I know he’s in good hands – they loved on him as soon as we handed him back to the nanny. Our time with him was just precious and we can’t wait to see him tomorrow morning. Actually, we made the decision to go ahead and keep him at the guesthouse with us – we’ve waited a long time to be parents and it would be sad and anti-climactic to have to leave him each day at the orphanage. Not only that, but we would like to see him shake this cold thing before the return flight.

So tomorrow we officially take custody and we’re so excited!

Friends!! Quint is finally “home”!

We are BLESSED!

On a pitiful note – we do not have internet access where we are staying and have to take a ten minute ride to a hotel nearby to get access in their business center. Not only that, but we can’t pull up blogger. I can still read your comments through my e-mail notification so thank you for each and every one! But, I am having a friend post this with the pictures – so you all don’t think I’m torturing you!

More to come when we can!

-cb

36 comments :

Robyn said...

Since I know you are getting comments via email:

Girl.....he is an absolute doll!!! Can't wait to get my arms around him. We are so happy for you guys!!!

I knew "it" would all come flooding you as soon as you held him in your arms!!

Welcome to the posse, Quint!!!!

Love ya!!!

Stacey said...

What a true little bundle of blessing he is. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for the three of you to finally be united and it is a beautiful thing to see that first family picture. I could just stare at his perfect little chubby self for hours and his little eyes are just the most handsome ever! I am thinking and praying for you all and a safe journey home too! Stacey

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, he is absolutely PRECIOUS! Girl, I told you that mothering instinct would kick in and it is obvious that it did. Congratulations and I cannot wait to meet him!

Quint - Welcome to the M3 Posse Crew! We love you and your Mommy and Daddy SOOOO much!

Auntie E

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy for you both. He is very handsome. Welcome to parenthood. Question: Why would you have to return him to the orphanage each night? Then you said you are not going to. Is that a choice? Who would choose to send their child back each night after waiting so long?
Lydia (been keeping up with your journey. Waiting for Keira too.)

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy for you both. He is very handsome. Welcome to parenthood. Question: Why would you have to return him to the orphanage each night? Then you said you are not going to. Is that a choice? Who would choose to send their child back each night after waiting so long?
Lydia (been keeping up with your journey. Waiting for Keira too.)

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy for you both. He is very handsome. Welcome to parenthood. Question: Why would you have to return him to the orphanage each night? Then you said you are not going to. Is that a choice? Who would choose to send their child back each night after waiting so long?
Lydia (been keeping up with your journey. Waiting for Keira too.)

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I didn't know I was leaving the same message thrice!

Emy said...

Praise the LORD!!! TEARS!!! He is perfect!!! Tears!!! love the first family picture. He was dressed so adorable! Can't wait to see more. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Dena said...

TEARS and SCREAMS! Oh, my! Quint is so darn cute, I can't stand it! His eyes are so full of life and light. He is an answered prayer.
You can tell that he is going to have a lot of fun, and bring you two along for the ride!
We are praying for you, and rejoicing with you.
Dena

Stephanie said...

YES!!!! Finally! Pictures!!!

He is absolutely perfect....what a sweet smile he has!!! Amazing joy..... I can't find the right words to say how happy I am for you guys!

Unknown said...

YEA!!! Congratulations!!!! What a beautiful family you are becoming. I had to laugh at your trying to be diplomatic about snot. I have tried and keep trying and often laugh at the descriptions I come up with before someone helps me by saying "You mean ____?" Wait until you try to describe a diaper diplomatically!
So happy for your family. It is hard to think you are so close to our baby boy without being jealous.

Anonymous said...

You're a natural! Congrats to you both. What a happy little guy! Post more when you get a chance!

Jamie

Norma said...

So happy for you. The look on your faces...times three.......says it all. You are blessed!!

Lili said...

Big Huge congratulations!!!! I am so, so, so happy for you, AB and Quint. He couldn't be more precious...like baby eye candy!! So nice to see a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

Christie and Anton,

Congratulations on your beautiful and strapping son. He is adorble and 'm so happy to see another boy join the crew!

Somehow, it all comes together doesn't it? I'm hoping his cold clears up in tme for a nice flight home.

We miss you and can't wait to meet your little man.

Love Valerie

Melanie said...

Going to start by saying I have been quietly following your journey for a while, can't quite remember how I found this blog. I am single and a foster parent who hopes to adopt the little one I have had for almost 16 months now.

I just couldn't resist telling you that Quint is an absolute doll face. I am so happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He's soooo cute! And his name is perfect for him.

Briana's Mom said...

Congrats Mommy and Daddy! He is just beautiful! And that smile - too cute for words!

Carrie said...

What a doll! A huge Congratulations from all of us here in Alaska!!! I love the smiles especially the new mommy beaming with her little man.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! What a doll baby! Christie Anton!! You DID IT!!! I cannot wait to see him and hold him. He is sooooo cute, what a smile! You can tell he has personality and will be the perfect child for the both of you. I love my new nephew, he is just the best best blessing for you two and you are the best blessing for him. He has no idea how lucky he is! I love you both and wish I was in Texas waiting for your return, may just have to make a trip soon to visit!
All my love
deany

Kelly & Todd said...

Oh he is just so precious and what a cutie!!! I've been stalking your blog since you left and was so happy to hear that you made it safely and finally have your little man. I'm crying tears of joy for you both as I try and type this. I'm just so happy and exicted for you. Enjoy your time away and I can't wait for more posts/information!

-- kelly :-)

4D said...

I am so happy! He is beautiful and both of you are glowing! Congrats on your new family!!

Keep smilin!

4D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

COngratulations! Your post reminds me of when I first met Wen. The world stands still...
Be safe..
Christy Bailey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! He is precious!
~Holly

Eloise said...

Congratulations!! Quint is absolutely adorable, and it is very clear that he has been well cared for. But what a lucky, lucky little boy to be joining your family!

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Quint is soooo beautiful..
I am sooo happy foryou.. everything is falling into place..
HUGS..

Linda said...

Tears looking at the pictures of Quint and you & Ab. An almost perfect family, (just need your little girl to be in the picture) So happy to see that beautiful smiling face. He looks like a happy boy and I know you will enjoy him so much. Linda

Diana said...

You do not know me but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to the NEW Mommy and Daddy!!! Quint is ADORABLE!
I am SO happy for YOU and your family. There is nothing better then being a mom:)

Suz said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! I can't wait for more pictures!!!
luv,
suz

Mya said...

You guys are just beamimg with pride! He is a handsome little dude! That smile melted my heart. So happy for you both you make a beautiful little family.

J said...

Congrats Christie and Anton !!! You two have waited a long, long time. Quint is a doll.

I can't wait to read more in the days to come.

Your former GW Feb/March Secret Pal,
Joanne

Donna said...

He is absolutely gorgeous and looks SOOO happy and healthy. You and Anton must be on cloud 9...that's a great place to be.

Enjoy getting to know your new son! Can't wait for more pics.

Donna :)

Mary said...

Congratulations!!! Quint is beautiful! You all look so happy! Enjoy every minute with your son!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christie & Anton,

Your SON is sooooooooooooooo Cute. Is little face with that Big smile is so adorable. I've been reading your blog for quite awhile now (1year). I'm so glad that your wait is finally over, Christa is just dying to come and see you both and she is excited to see Quint. The smile on your faces when you became parents was so priceless. Well I guess I better let you go for now. We love all THREE of you. Can't wait to see you guys and Christa really can't wait. Talk to you later. Our prayers are with you.

Love,
Autumn & Christa

t~ said...

Congratulations! So happy for you! Your son is beyond beautiful. Enjoy your time there!