August 12, 2009

Paying homage to the great tv kart man in the sky


Dear Mr./ Mrs. TV Kart for kids,

I love you. I really love you. You must have E.S.P. You must have been a genius and the father/mother of a squirmy, wiggly, "don't make me sit in this cart or I'll lose my mind" child. You must have known that I too, would have this same type of child.

You must have. And I know this because you made this TV Kart just for me. Didn't you? Well, if you didn't, don't tell me. I'll just enjoy believing that you set out for the sole purpose of making my life easier when you so generously created this amazing contraption of attention grabbing, perfect distraction - with time to spare - and mind-saving device.

Today was my first experience with your blissful creation. And I'm still thinking about it. Left me wanting more, that's for sure.

You see, I had to go to the store. But I was dreading it, because Q-man is just not a fan. Not a fan of the store, or of having to sit in a cart. And it becomes a dreadful sight - him crying and melting down (oh wait, that's me!) after only ten minutes in the store together. I was totally at my end.

Then I strolled into my local Tom Thumb (Safeway for you West Coasters) and lo and behold - there it was. Gleaming and clean, bright, colorful and happy...and I thought...."what the heck! he's on a car kick lately...and I see a little steering wheel in there...maybe that will keep him occupied for a half hour while I try and pick up some stuff for dinner. Did I mention that the little car is a two seater? Good to know. And there was a ton of cart storage space. Deep and wide.

So we put Q in the little car, strapped the seat belt (he was already completely fascinated) and then a little screen lit up in front of me. I hadn't even noticed it until then. What was it? A control device? It then asked me if I'd like to initiate a cartoon for Quint. What is this? Seriously? And then I saw his favorite listed among four others as an option ~ The Backyardigans. An episode of the BY's? Seriously?! Sweet corn niblits! You better believe it! And I pushed the little button...and peered through the little window into the car...and there was the matching screen...and there were our favorite characters and WOW even our favorite episode...playing inside the car. AB looked at me like we'd just struck GOLD. I think Quint hit nirvana! A car. A steering wheel. A screen playing his favorite show. And you could actually hear it inside the little car, and not OUTSIDE the little car. Can I just tell you? Brilliant.

And for 40 minutes, I strolled without a care in the world through the store. No crying. No fussing. No meltdowns (talking about me again). No nothing. Just peace. And quiet. I love those two. They just don't come around often enough. And certainly never (NEVER) at the grocery store.

And so, I love you.

Whoever you are.

I love you.

Seriously.

And so does my son.

Bless your little heart.

I'm gonna be hard-pressed to shop anywhere else, ever...ever again. Unless they have your kart.


9 comments :

Kim said...

WOW... that is toooo CUTE..
I think EVERY store needs one of those..
Love it..
Have a great evening..

Shannon said...

I miss grocery shopping in Dallas where they cater to families with children. This is seriously a great idea!!! I am so jealous. Finding just a regular car kart in my area grocery stores is hard enough, I can't imagine those handy devices will ever hit our stores.

Shannon said...

I miss grocery shopping in Dallas where they cater to families with children. This is seriously a great idea!!! I am so jealous. Finding just a regular car kart in my area grocery stores is hard enough, I can't imagine those handy devices will ever hit our stores.

meme said...

You have such a gift for writing! That is so funny. Love it.
Linda, Your Kentucky Friend

Kayce said...

That is TOOO cool! I remember the days of trying to get through the grocery store with Jacob, it was awful! I would have just loved one of those in our store!

S.Wise said...

We have those in our grocery stores! I always giggle when I see one go by! I guess I will know soon enough that they have real value!!! :)

Sue said...

Okay, seriously..I shop at Safeway in AZ and would love to have this in our store...and my daughter is 4! Most days she is good to go with the shopping but on the days she would rather be home playing with her dolls, this would work wonders! A great invention indeed!

Single PAP said...

wow! that is amazing. never seen one!
and there is a safeway up the street from my house! hmmmm sounds like i need to make a little request!

Catherine said...

Wow! Those are really cool!! What fun for both of you!