February 25, 2008

I Don't Have, Fretting, and Blessings

Well, I think it goes without saying that we are still reeling from Friday's news. See the post below if you're out of the loop. (take a tissue).

Amidst all the happiness and joy and amazement (and more joy) - there is still the referral acceptance that needs to be sent, the final installment to the agency (cough!! thought we had several more months to come up with that) and so much more. How about the rest of our vaccinations? Yellow Fever anyone? How about flying to Africa? So much for cheap...kiss it goodbye.

I was all set to do the Three Words challenge floating around, and wham! How about getting your referral six months early instead? Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy Easter and Happy Sadie Hawkins! So after Friday when the dust settled, I put my head on the pillow and tried to sleep (HA! - Nice try!) and thus started the actual "Three Words" challenge.....it went like this....

I don't have a painted or put together in any way, shape, or form nursery for him
I don't have a changing table
I don't have boy clothes (well, ok - a couple things - but all in 12 months and up!)
I don't have bottles (seriously...how did I miss that? I guess I thought Keira would probably not be on bottles anymore and it never really crossed my mind)
I don't have infant toys (again - all for an older 12 months and up baby)
I don't have a carseat ($@(*&$(*#&$)
I don't have a pack n'pl@y
I don't have a stroller (no idea what I was thinking)

(Shall I keep going???? Seen enough????)

Right now, our needs outweigh our capacity to keep track of them. We started a spreadsheet on Sunday (don't laugh) and tried very valiantly to list what we "thought" we needed. Seriously though - how am I supposed to know what I need when I've never done this before? On the other hand, I've spent quite a bit of time caring for or being around children - so I do at least know the basics. I just wish I could close my eyes and it's (snap) done! Where is M@ry Poppins when I need her? Spoon full of Sug@r anyone??

In trying to make this list, we got to a point, ten minutes in, where we literally had to shut the laptop and step away. It was overwhelming. As THRILLED and HAPPY as we are to have our referral and to see our sons face (and OMG are we thrilled) - I can't emphasize enough how unprepared we are feeling. On the bright side, we do have about three months to pull ourselves together, get done what needs doing, and cross off the items on our list. And I, like my Mother, feel that it will all work out and come together just fine and dandy. Trying not to sweat the small stuff right now...but still need to get busy and make the most of this three months.

Technically, we still have three major steps to complete before travel which are referral acceptance, Court Date and approval, and then travel schedule and arrangements. This will take about/around/roughly three months. We are still planning on travel between May and June.

We had a great call with our agency tonight and got lots of info about travel, etc. We will get monthly updates - but our first one won't be until the end of March. Meanwhile, we got another very stern warning not to share his info, pictures, or details on the internet or any other forums for that matter. Scary! So I have to be very careful what I talk about on this blog - much as that kills me - in regards to Quint. It's seriously painful not to get to show you his sweet little face! I promise to make up for it just as soon as I can get him in my arms. PROMISE!

Blessings to Share:
  • Time-frame moved significantly up means less chance to have to delay KJ's process - can't tell you what a blessing that it. Still expecting her referral sometime next year - Jan-March.
  • Travel in June means AB will be home for the summer and I will not have to venture into this new land of parenting alone all day. I foresee lots of time at the pool this summer with our little man! Who knew?!?!?
  • He is beautiful and I have no doubts that it's inside and out
  • When we look at his picture, we smile and say "hi, son!"
  • People are calling us Mama and Daddy (smile)
  • The enormous amount of e-mails and comments on the blog that we got from all of you made us feel like our euphoria was contagious!! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all of your kind words and well-wishes. It was a tremendous, tremendous blessing to us this weekend!
  • Getting to see a few of my lurkers come out to say "Hi!" I've been wonderin' about you!
  • The people from all over who have actually written to me to say "what can I do?" At this point, we're still in a daze - not even sure what we need to do. Just know there is a lot of it. But still, thank you thank you thank you!! You are precious friends!
  • Yesterday, AB called me in the kitchen and stood in front of the kitchen cabinet, doors open. He said "well, whaddya think? We move this here, that there, and this whole shelf becomes the baby's? For bottles, cups, plates, whatever..." I wanted to hug him for days over that one. I think I will.
-Cb

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Girl,

Get thyself onto Craig's List - lot's of good stuff for Q.

Also, great re-sale shop near me - great deals.

It will all come together - rest up now....cuz that is one thing you will not be able to catch up on for quite a while.

Love V

Kim said...

You will be fine...
You will know what to do..
You have me crying .. I am sooo happy for you..
I know that every other country lets you see your baby before .. I have a girl who sent me the picture of her little girl from Vietnam and they are not aloud to post on their site either.. Kind of different..but in a good way because you will have Quint home sooooo soon..
I am sooo happy for you girly..
You will get it all done..
Hugs to you..

Helen said...

Hi there,
Just found your blog from Piper grace's blog!
Congratulations! I have bookmarked you and look forward to reading about your preparations and the travel!
Good luck!
Helen xxxxxx

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness. My head is spinning from reading this post! I know you are overwhelmed....but I can't help but smile since I can see myself in you! :) Hang in there... I just know that you will pull it all together!
I just can' tell you how filled with joy I am for you guys.... if there is anything you need from a waiting mamma in Cali....let me know!!! :)

Steph

Mya said...

It will all come together, I promise! It was very overwhelming for me even a few months after we were home. You will figure it out. But how awesome is that AB will be home with you! I can't wait to see pictures.

Jodi said...

Stroller suggestion - Kolcraft contours - there is a single and double. I have the single and love it!!! After three other kids and numerous strollers this one is awesome! And not too pricey!
Shop around on the internet - I ended up getting mine at Burlington Coat factory in Dallas.
I highly recommend this stoller!
I have seen the double, and spoke to the mommy - she loved it!

Have fun getting all of these things together!
Jodi Sue :)
Jodi Sue :)

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

This is what baby showers are for! Take the spreadsheet to Target or whatever the store of choice is... and fire away! I am so happy for you. I would hug you if I could. So BIG HUGS!!! GOOD problems to have, eh?!

Young Creations said...

I am so happy for you. I have come out of the world of the lurk to say congratulation. We are so happy for you both.

Dena said...

Hey Mama!!!
If it makes you feel any better, I was totally overwhelmed after we got Piper's referral about all we needed to do to prepare, AND I'd done it twice before! Of course, it all fell into place.
There is a huge consignment sale goining on next weekend, I'll send you an email about it.
You can find everything for great prices, generally 25% of full price, or 75% off full price. We've use the platex bottles with the drop in liners with Piper and LOVE them, so much easier, and the Walmart brand liners work just as well for about 1/4 of the price.

I loved this post, as I think everyone who's been where you are knows exactly how overwhelming it all can be. But, oh the fun on the other end waiting for you!

Dawn and Dale said...

We had 6 days of warning before we flew to pick up Charla!! Trust me...you'll be ready!! You have love to give Mr. Quint...the biggest NEED is already met!! :)

Robyn said...

3 months girl!! You have so got this covered. (Just remember back to our friend V....3days)It worked for her and it will work for you!

You have the most important thing: the love this baby needs. The rest will fall into place.

Love ya!!

JoAnn in NJ said...

Hi Mom and Dad!
Two words:
Baby Shower~

does wonders for all those "things you don't have"

Get thee to a Babies R Us Fast~

I presume Quint is an infant :)
SOOOO thrilled for you, I've been following you for a while!

Anonymous said...

Many, many heartfelt congratulations to you.