July 19, 2006

Working 9-5...what a way to make a living!


Sing it! You know you want to...

Well, needless to say, my transition to working at home has been interesting. You know how when you've never really had the chance to do something that you've always wanted to do, or when you might have done it a long time ago and can't quite put your finger on the sensation that doing said "thing" gave you? Well, this is the case for my leaving the corporate world and transitioning to my new job - where I work from the comfort of my home office.

Don't get me wrong - love it. Totally 100x's better so far than commuting to an office everyday so that someone else can hover nearby and make sure I'm dotting my I's and crossing my T's. I can't stand to be micro-managed. (not you in a million years Des) At any rate, it's been interesting, because I've been sitting in that chair at that computer for roughly 10-12 hours a day. I'm not exaggerating, there is that much work to do. SO - for those that thought I was getting on the escalator of life - you were right. What can I say? But, I do find that it's harder to walk away. In my corporate job at 5:00 - I was out the door and did not usually give another thought to my e-mail, workload, or deadlines. At home though, I find myself still sitting here at 8:00pm fiddling with this or that project. I'm gonna have to get some boundaries in place for myself or I'm gonna burn out!

Here's my first one: leave the computer...just walk away...you can do it. E-mail can survive and so can the phones for the evening. It's ok. Just walk away...

Walking...

No comments :