January 26, 2012

Nothing Unhealthy–Day 26 brings a special treat

Friends, on this, our 25th day together in this very difficult challenge, I have a treat for you that’s totally fat-free.  (Don’t go!)  I’m very happy to introduce you to one of my favorite people; Kate.  With only less than a week left in the challenge, I wanted to find a way to inspire and encourage you to keep on keeping on with the healthy changes so many of you have made this month.  Kate is one of the sweetest, sassiest, and dearest girls I know – and on top of all that sugar…she’s got a B.A. in Exercise Science and Nutrition.  Hello!  That’s what I’m talking about!  I asked her to write a special post today to reach out to my challengers – those who just need some inspiration and insight, tips, or  just some good old fashioned advice from someone who deals in health and fitness on a daily basis with clients of all ages, sizes, and shapes.  Kate, take it away!

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Kate Headshot-rI discovered the rewards of taking care of my body went far beyond the superficial during my early college years. Being healthy created a desire in me to learn as much as I could about fitness and proper nutrition. I craved knowledge about good eating habits and exercise! And as I realized what a positive impact these habits had on my energy level, my attitude and my whole outlook on life, I desired to share that with anyone who would listen! Becoming a personal trainer gave me the outlet to share my knowledge and experience with others.
 
I absolutely love helping people discover the benefits of a healthier lifestyle! As a wife and new mom, I can attest that taking charge of my health brings a sense of calm in the midst of life’s daily chaos. Never underestimate the power of exercise and good nutrition!
 
As a fitness trainer, it is my goal to help my clients avoid common pitfalls in order to get the best results out of their program. The two biggest mistakes I encounter are a lack of preparation and unrealistic goal setting.
 
Without proper planning even your best intentions will eventually fail. To accomplish long-term goals it is essential to have a plan. When it comes to eating well, it is of the utmost importance to have good, healthy options readily available. Before you even head to the grocery store create a meal plan and grocery list. There will be no need to wander through the cookie isle because everything you need for smart snacking and meals will be on your list. By taking away temptations and replacing them with healthy choices, you’re setting yourself up for success.
 
Just as planning is important for developing better eating habits, it is equally important to plan time for exercise. Scheduling time to be active will increase the likelihood of sticking with a regimen. My motto is this, “Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail”. Make that your fitness mantra and you’ve already won half the battle!
 
When I first meet with a client I always ask for their expectations before starting a program. I can’t recount the times I hear something like, “I want to lose 60 pounds in three months”. While 60 pounds is a great long-term goal, it is important to know that realistic weight loss is between 1-3 pounds a week! Instead of simply making one large goal, set realistic short-term goals as well.  Benchmarks will help keep you on track to your ultimate goal and keep you motivated along the way. Try not to kick every bad habit at once. Instead, focus on one or two things at a time. This will keep your goals from feeling too overwhelming to accomplish.
 
If your best weight loss efforts seem to be falling short, consider keeping a daily food log for a week or two. This practice can be extremely helpful in identify patterns that may be sabotaging your goals by making you more mindful of the calories you are consuming.
 
As this 31-day challenge comes to an end, let me encourage you to keep it up! Let the conclusion of this challenge spark new goals! Consider what small changes can you make next month and remember that slip-ups are going to happen, but the key is to continue improving. When it comes to lifestyle changes consider this, “Fitness is a journey, not a destination and must be continued for the rest of your life” Dr. Kenneth Cooper.  Best of luck!
 
Listed below are a few helpful resources: (click the links to visit!)


*Kate is a Certified Personal Trainer with an incredible passion for helping others reach their fitness goals. In 2007, Kate earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science and Nutrition from Abilene Christian University. After college, Kate interned at the Cooper Fitness Center in Dallas, Texas where she developed the ability to apply exercise theory in everyday life. Her enthusiasm for healthy living drives her to continuously share the benefits of an active lifestyle.

No comments :