May 23, 2011

A Moment’s Peace

Sometimes, when it gets quiet in the house, I get worried.  You know, like that rule about "7 seconds".  By the 7th second, every mother starts to panic or whatever? 

I have that.  I get really uncomfortable when I don’t hear chaos.  Or fighting.  Not because I like the squabbles (good heavens, NO), but rather because I need to know that the realm for which I have been nominated to have accountability for, is still running smoothly (despite squabbling).  That certain little people are not say; burning down the house, or filling up bathtubs with water, or destroying Daddy’s 30 year old comic book collection.  Stuff like that.

So when all fell silent the other day, I got worried.  I *thought* they were watching “Tangled”.  But it was too quiet.  Because even movie watching of any kind still usually entails lots of bickering and whining, etc. 

So I went to check.  Just to see.  Just to confirm which mess I would be charged with cleaning up.

And then it was like birds were singing.  Like the clouds parted and a rainbow appeared and June Cleaver herself popped out of thin air and gave me a love nudge and a wink and sprinkled Magical Mommy Dust on me.

Could it be?

IMG_2220-rev

They were actually watching the movie?

IMG_2202-rev

Together?

IMG_2210

In peace and quiet and happiness?  Actually snuggling?

Get out of here.

Good grief!  What’s next?  Random acts of kindness and general tolerance of each other’s presence? 

I might pass out.  Send backup.