May 9, 2011

Kaleigh

Yesterday was Mother’s Day around our nation, and I hope you celebrated it well and with those you love, as I did.

But it was also another anniversary of sorts, and I’m still a bit raw from the remembrance.

A year ago, we said goodbye to our little Kaleigh.  You can read about that HERE and HERE.

Kaleigh

I don’t think there are enough ways to describe the genuine attachment and deep love that we felt for her.

And since I’m already crying, trying to type this out, I’ll be brief…
 
She was a spirited and a dear little soul.  She was sweet and ornery.  She was faithful and loving and my dear friend to the last possible moment.

I still remember the look in her big brown eyes when I asked her to lay down that last time.  Friends, it makes me weep.

I think God knew so very well what He was offering us, when he gave us the gift and companionship of animals. 

There is something so deeply tried and true, innocent and kind about them.  He must have known how badly we would need that special kind of love and faithfulness in our broken world.

I have to believe in my heart I might see her again on the other side – because I do believe that God cares about what we care about.  And only God can know how much that little dog meant to my heart.

I can’t believe I’ve had to part with sweet Kaleigh for a year.  It feels longer and it feels like yesterday.

It breaks this mother’s heart all over again…and it’s still so painful.

Just a dog?  Never.  Not in a million years.

So much more…through and through