April 2, 2010

A Good Friday



I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. - Philippians 3:10-12


Tonight, I read to Quint and Keira about the final days of Jesus' life before his crucifixion.  I didn't want to overwhelm him with wordy text from the Bible that his two-year old mind could not absorb, so I found his toddler Bible and sat down to read.  They were short phrases and they rhymed.  And there were pictures - beautifully colored and yet gentle for little hearts to take in. 

I haven't done this before.  Read to Quint about the death of Jesus - or explained a holiday that holds significant meaning to our family.  He's been too young.  And I'm not sure how much of it he actually retained anyway.  Honestly, he was moving on to Peter Pan by the time I had placed his Bible back on the shelf.  

But I can tell you this, it holds a much deeper meaning to me to be able to share my faith with my children.  Explaining redemption to my toddler would be far from easy.  I didn't even try, of course.  

But as I read, I became teary and was touched by the simplicity of the words in his little Bible.  

A good man who was kind to all and never did wrong came to take care of us, make a way for us, and show us how to live.  He was not liked by everyone and so he was killed.  But because he was fully God and fully man, he promised that death could not keep him in the grave and so after three days, HE ROSE AGAIN to show us He is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE.

So simple.  So beautiful.

May our lives reflect and be worthy of the deep sacrifice paid on our behalf


We are redeemed by the blood of the Lamb

A Good Friday indeed....






4 comments :

MommaT said...

AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience reading Piper the story of Jesus' death(from her bible)this week. She wanted me to read it over and over, and now is telling it over and over. There's something about seeing it through her eyes, that renews my own faith.
Unless you come to me like little children....

Love picturing little Q looking at the pictures and listening to his mama read to him about Jesus. Thanks for sharing this precious moment in time!
Dena

Anonymous said...

An even greater joy? Leading them in the sinner's prayer. That is the ultimate. Till then, keep sharing your faith. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Lydia

Christy said...

AMEN MY FRIEND-- AMEN!!!