August 30, 2007

Adventures in Tire Changing




Well folks, I knew the day would come when I'd least expected it. Today started as any other, working in the home office, making plans for my day. I knew I needed to drop a deposit by the bank, run to the lab for some blood work (dossier...sigh), and meet AB for an early dinner, before heading to church for practice. I got ready, I grabbed a bottled water, my purse and keys and out the door I went. As soon as the light from the outside world hit my car, as the garage door slowly rolled up, I saw it. IT. The dead tire. Passenger side, back end. Good Gawd! I stood there for a minute in shock. Frustrated, I quickly called A. I said "what am I supposed to do? I've never changed a tire, I'm home alone - I have stuff I have to do - I'm supposed to meet you for dinner!?!? What do I do?" He simply said "you could change the tire."

Ok, stop! Back the choo choo up.

I'm a girl. I don't do automotive repairs. I don't like grease or dirt, or sweating, or dirt (did I say that already?). So I said "what are you talking about? Me? Get under there and kill myself trying to change a tire? What if the car falls on me?" He said "don't put your body under the car, Love. It's a tire, not an engine. What other choice do you have? I can't leave work, you're gonna have to figure it out or call a friend to come and get you where you need to be". Well, that was just fine and dandy! Now I've got to change a tire? No, no - first, LEARN to change a tire, then change a tire. Never mind that I've been fasting for the blood work and I'm starving. Never mind that by the time I get to the lab, I'll be wasted away. (insert rediculous whine here).

Well, there was nothing to be done. I had to face the giant. So, see above for the hilarity that was my adventure in a tire changing experience.

After it was done, I actually felt proud of myself. I was kind of...beaming. I strolled into that tire joint and told the service man all proud like "I had a flat". He just stared at me. "I mean, I had to put the spare on, by myself, and I've never done that before, but what can you do, right? I mean, it's gotta be changed!" Stupid giggle here. A slight nod from the man. "That is to say, I hope I did it right" (giggle snort here). One side of his mouth slightly curves as he tries to give me a half-hearted "lady, please shut up" smile. I let out a nervous cough. "So, I'm hoping it'll be ok? I couldn't find a nail or anything obvious.." "We'll look at it", he tells me. A half hour later, I'm still beaming. It's like my whole day is better because I got to do something new and challenging and I'm proud of myself, which doesn't happen too often. (unfortunately)

I go back to the desk when my name is called and he hands me my keys. "You're all set", he tells me. I am? "Well, what was wrong? Nail? Glass? Hard metal object embedded in the side?" Now he smiles - the big kind. The kind that says "brace yourself, stupid". "Your air cap was loose". Eh?? Come again? "Your air cap...it was unscrewed...the air just drained out". Say what, now? "So there was nothing wrong. We checked it all over. The tire is fine and you're good to go". At which point he hands me the keys and says "no charge" and smiles that irritating smile again. I wanted to punch him in the face. But my hands were still tired from the tire changing episode. Talk about letting the "air" out of my tire! Well! I just smiled politely and said "wow...thanks then...I guess...for that...(cough)." And there you have it.

When I called AB and told him what had happened to the tire, he said "well, you could have just pumped it up in the garage. We have a compressor, you know?" Really? Do we??? What the frig is a compressor??? How would I know that? How could I have known that a flat tire, FLAT, was only the result of the air being let out and not a nail, etc. Well, now I know! And apparently, we have a compressor. Yeah.

I'm still proud of myself. I still think it was a good lesson to learn. Now I know what to do and yesterday I didn't. Now I wouldn't dread it as much if I were on the side of the road somewhere with a flat. Now I feel slightly more empowered than when I woke up this morning. Now I know to check the frigging air cap every now and then. And that we have a compressor (!*&$#(*&!*(&@(*&@!#!@@).

12 comments :

Kim said...

GREAT JOB....
I have never changed a tire either...
But since I just watched you...I know how...
THANKS..
Hope you day is better..
Have a GOOD ONE..
Kim

4D said...

Regardless of the cause, good for you!!!

A new challenge faced and conquered.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

This is why I have AAA, for the one time this could possibly happen. Either that or a dead battery. 3 cheers for you for changing the tire. I don't think I would even attempt it.

Robyn said...

Scared of you girl. But know I definitely know what I am getting you for Christmas! FIX 'O FLAT.. Not only do I always carry that but I also pay $2.95 a month for Mr. Rescue on my cell phone.

Thanks for the laugh (and just for good measure I did a dramatic reading of your post to Paul on the way home from the hospital tonight!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Well that's a lesson for everyone..check the cap first.
So proud of you though changing the tire...you did great!

Erin said...

That was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. You crack me up! I have never changed a tire but I know my day is coming. But as long as we have our awesome car insurance, I won't have to do it. Isn't that sweet?

Love you and congrats!!!!

P.S. Leave it to a true blogger to take self photos of herself while sweating up a storm. :-)

Kelley said...

Girl! I almost snorted coffee out my nose when I opened your blog to see PHOTOS of you changing your flat tire! Seriously?! What would Glamour Mommy have done? Not change it, that's for sure! This is exactly why I have AAA and the Honda emergency service. I am so proud of you! And, that guy at the tire shop should have hugged you and said, "Way to go girl!" Boob!
Love you!
K.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what impresses me more; the fact that you attempted and succeeded in changing the tire; or the fact that you had the forethought to digitally document the deed with your camera.

I would have gone into the air conditioned house and called AAA to come change it.

But your way is good too ;-)

Love V

Anonymous said...

I have a shortcut for next time. Take that compressor, air the tire back up, drive to the nearest station, and let them take it off. If you only have a small nail or screw in the tire, it will stay aired up long enough to go a short distance. I have not changed a tire since I caught on to this one. Love your story though. And by the way, I also love the bedding you have picked out for the baby, but I just cannot get in the middle of your and Anton's decision.

Momma Martha

t~ said...

Wow, that's pretty good documentation on how it all works. Good thing I have nails....cuz this chick isn't changing a tire. Nope, not going to do it. Kudos to you girl!

Colleen said...

Whoa.....nice job!! Very impressed at the documenting of the adventure. I've never done it and hope never to have to..........that being said...I will probably get a flat soon....

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

Gotta’ love a gal who can simultaneously change a tire and photo-document for blogging purposes! Way to go Mechanic Mama!!

Smiles! :o)
Nikki