December 31, 2011

Happy New Year’s Eve, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry!  Got sidetracked with merry making and forgot to post a Mister Linky for those who would like to blog their way through the following nightmare Challenge:

31 Days of Nothing {Unhealthy}

Don’t let my sour-grapes attitude scare you off.  This is a WORTHY challenge!  And no one (I mean, NO ONE) needs it more than this girl sitting here typing up this post.  I’m just loathe.  Loathe to do what I know I must. 

Secret confession time:  I do not do anything involving self-discipline.  I avoid it at all costs.  I know, this seems shocking (cough) but it’s true.  No, really.  The only hard lines I draw for myself are those that involve laying on the couch in regular intervals, eating at Chipotle only on days ending in “Y”, and visiting Hobby Lobby after every major holiday.  These are the rules of my life.

And sadly enough, I have a motto.  And I should be embarrassed to tell you this, but what the hay, here goes:  “I’m going to die fat and happy”.  There.  I said it.  And I do say it.  A lot.  GASP.  I can’t help it.  I’m the daughter of a mortician.  Everybody dies.  This much I learned.  And you can’t cheat death.  He’s no respecter of persons.  Fat, skinny, healthy, unhealthy, old or young.  Still, this “motto” of sorts has led to an unusually unattractive byproduct: the middle-school boys at the pool this summer joking that the  water would empty out, should I get in.  The lady at the bank asking me when I was “due”.  The turnstile at the amusement park getting caught on my pants and rendering me stuck.  My 4 year old poking my stomach and saying “you have a big tummy, Mommy!”.  When I said “that’s not very nice”, he replied very matter of fact “it’s ok Mommy!  It’s fine!  All 'women's had' babies”.  I spared him the point of truth that I have never given birth to anything other than a five pound cheesecake. 

So yes.  I’m a little bitter.  I don’t like discipline.  I don’t like eating right.  I don’t like healthy food.  I don’t like fat-free anything.  I don’t like carrots or peas or celery or rice cakes or brown rice or tofu or green things.  I don’t like diet-coke.  I don’t like tea.  I can keep going.  I don’t like running.  I don’t like walking, unless there’s a food reward at the end.  For crying out loud, I don’t like having to get up and retrieve the remove control, if I have already laid down on the couch and then see that it’s across the room.  This is the state of affairs over here, people.  It’s ugly.

My version of exercise is the movement and motion it takes me to put my children to bed at night.  It’s a one-story house, people.  A small one, at that.

So enter the January challenge.  Sigh…………………..

It’s time.  Even if it’s only for a month.  They say it only takes 14 days to form a new habit.  So we’re betting people, you and I.  We’re betting that trying to tackle this for 31 days will actually push us into a new lifestyle.  One that involves healthier living.  You, and I, and the bucket loads of e-mails and notes I’ve received telling me how many of you are along for this month’s challenge.  I’m actually honored that I’m so completely NOT ALONE.  Thank you…it is very rewarding to have so many of you on board for this one. 

That said, here’s some homework and details for those of you participating:

  • I would love to tell you to involve your whole family, but I know that’s not always possible.   Fortunately in our home, we’re all in.  Even the kids – well…mostly.  There will be *some* exceptions for them, but not many.  AB and I are in it to win it. {ish}  No, we are!  {Mostly}  STOP!  We’re doing this!  (see, I don’t know how to make the bad thoughts step-aside…dread does not even come close it!)
  • Support is key – even for 31 days.  If you’re going it alone in your home, perhaps find an online community, a friend, a neighbor, or co-worker to take the challenge with you.
  • Make a plan or strategy for being successful.  Don’t be unprepared or uncertain.  Know what your goals are and wake up ready to go tomorrow!  We have all tried many fads and diets, but this month is not about that.  This month is about healthier living in general.  This means eating right, exercising, and getting plenty of rest.  Here’s our goal:
  1. Eating much smaller portions, and healthier choices.  For Anton, he prefers one main meal a day.  I prefer 6 small meals.  Either way, the food choices we make will reflect low-fat, lighter, and healthier options. 
  2. Exercise 3 times a week.  For me, I’m taking the Couch to 5K Challenge.  I hate running, but this plan eases you into it gently with lots of walking.  Heck, it eases you into it by getting you off the couch.  If you’re interested, you can visit their website HERE.  It’s free and it’s easy.  The plan is spelled out for you and easy to follow.  I’ll be posting about my progress as we enter the next four weeks.  I’ll also be riding my bike, as weather permits.
  3. Sleeping 8 hours a night.  Night-owls listen up: we have to get more rest!  It’s not a big enough priority.  Eight hours.  Let’s do this!

Now onto what our family is changing/avoiding:
  • Weekly Weigh-Ins.  I haven’t done this since Jr. High gym class.  Ouch.  Oh, and I’m SO not posting my weight here.  No.  But I will at least post weight loss, in terms of inches or pounds.  That I can do. 
  • Fast food of any kind is out.  Double Ouch.
  • Decreased red-meat intake.  We eat quite a bit of red meat.  We’re heading for leaner cuts of beef, but with a much larger emphasis on chicken and fish.  We’re stocked up!
  • Drinking soda, wine, or beer is out.  Please don’t even ask me how I’m going to live without Coke.  Please.  Don't ask.  (sniffle…sob….sniffle)  Water, ice-tea, and coffee.  Occasional juices.
  • Late nights with too much unhealthy snacking.  Off to bed, early instead.  What?  It's one month.  We can all do anything for one month.  Criminy!
  • No potato chips, French-fries, fried foods, heavy sauces, excessive butter or oils
  • No sweets.  Well…a little dark chocolate is good for you.  But no cake, ice-creams, candy, etc.  Haven’t we all over-dosed in December anyway?

Let’s chat about RESOURCES:

Here are some tools that will help you get through the month and might even inspire you to greater and longer lasting health and fitness.  This of course, coming from the girl who doesn’t even own a pair of exercise shoes.  Ahem.  Go get em!

**(And I probably don’t need to say this, but I will anyway:  I am not a doctor and I am not affiliated with any of the links below.  I can’t advise you how to lose weight, and I can’t tell you what’s best for your body.  Please consult a physician if you are unsure or need assistance with better health and weight loss.)**
  • Weight Watchers – The have a fabulous point system that allows you to eat regular food in smaller and more appropriate portions.  You are in charge and you control the food you eat.  It’s a wonderful tool.
  • Couch 2 5K – Great free exercise program to get you moving this month!
  • Body Weight Calculator – Find out what your appropriate weight range is (American Accreditation HealthCare Commission)
  • Weight-Loss Basics – A great resource about how to approach weight-loss with lots of links to additional resources. (Mayo Clinic)

Last but not least – I have tools for you to use (helpful…that’s me!) There are many online tools you can find out there, but some cost money to use.  If you prefer the old pencil and paper routine, here’s what I’ve got – please e-mail me HERE if you would like any of the below spreadsheets and be specific with the ones you want:
*you will need Word/Excel to view these documents*

DAILY WELLNESS LOG (includes eating, sleeping, and exercise)
 
WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER (plan your meals ahead!!)

FITNESS TRAINING TRACKER (track your exercise and see your progress) 

DAILY FOOD DAIRY (track your daily eating)


LAST BUT NOT LEAST:

Please, oh please, blog about your month if you can!  We're planning on receipes, meal plans, pictures, and lots of progress reports from the front lines.  If you’d be willing – can you list your name and blog address below on the Mister Linky?  That way we can all follow along on your progress and I can highlight here those who are taking the challenge!  Danka!

If you’re going to participate, and even if you’ve already told me – can you leave a comment here?  Strength in numbers, my friends.  Strength in numbers…

Thanks to all – let’s DO THIS!



9 comments :

lbaesel said...

I'm in!

lbaesel said...

I'm in!

Diana said...

I am in...I laughed at some of your comments as I think we might be sisters separated at birth!

Teresa said...

Im in and I left my blog addy

Anonymous said...

I'm totally in and am looking forward to the challenge. Thank you for the links - I've always wanted to try the couch 2 5k!

Anna said...

Just had my last cupcake! Oh...and a few Fruit Loops for good measure! :o)

Teachn18 said...

Hi Christie,
I love this month's challenge (ok, maybe love is the wrong word, lol...but I'm actually excited about it). I'm in, but I don't have a blog (that's on my to do list for Jan). I will definitely follow along and post comments along the way.

I am starting Weight watchers tomorrow (for the umpteenth time) and today was day 1 week 1 of the couch to 5k program....I despise exercise of any kind, but I did survive the walk/run today (note to self...go to the running store tomorrow to be fitted for running shoes and to purchase something to support my "fluff" a little more). Looking forward to the next 30 days!
Krissy

Young Creations said...

Christie,
I am in. I wrote a long post on my blog. It tells my story. I cant tell you how much the support and reassurance helps. I just need to FEEL better. I will support you as well. Give the kids a high five from me.

Suz said...

I'm in, two days late, but we started tonight! I need to be motivated off the couch next!