December 16, 2011

We should talk about this…

Because it’s takes prep time to adjust your mentality to it.  At least it does for me.  Let’s just say that we don’t exactly practice the art of healthy eating over here.  Maybe more like the art of gluttony.  Ahem.  So ENTER January’s Challenge….

31 Days of Nothing {Unhealthy}

I’m giving you time to process if you really want to tackle this one with us or not.  Here are some details:

  • It will mirror the 30 Days of Nothing Challenge – in that, it will be almost daily menus, pics of food, and honest thoughts on how it’s going
  • You will need to commit to eating healthy.  That means no fast-food, limited fats and sugars, and cutting back on portions.
  • No diet pills allowed.  Sorry but the point is natural and healthy – not peeing until you’re 15 pounds lighter.  No one can keep that up.
  • It’s not about losing pounds as much as it is about eating healthier and benefiting from that.  Losing pounds is a fabulous by-product.
  • There’s no weight loss contest to win – but a before and after pic might be fun?  I would love to see that on your blogs.
  • You will need a scale and you will need to actually step onto it.  Just to monitor any changes.  Just sayin’.
  • I’m not putting stipulations on this (i.e. you can’t eat any processed food, you have to exercise, whatever).  I think that’s left to the individual.  For us, I think we’ll try to eat as healthy as possible, cut out as much fat as we can, and put our focus on fish, chicken, vegetables and fruit.  Low starch intake, low sugar intake, and cheating at a bare minimum.  Possibly some kind of exercise at least twice a week.  Even if that’s just a bundled up walk around the neighborhood for 20 minutes or a good game of Wii Boxing!  That’s our goal. 
  • Not sure what to do with all the junk-food in our house – but considering taking it to a friends house for safe-keeping.  Don’t want to dump it, because the cheap-o in me can’t seem to do that.  Have to think about that – but having it here is too much temptation.  Way too much.

You don’t have to do it.  But you could.  Just to see.  It’s only a month.  It’s non-committal in a way, because if you say you’re going to diet or change – that’s usually supposed to be a permanent situation.  I’m letting you off easy.  Come February, you can go right back to fries and mayo.  (Maybe that’s just us?)  It’s one month of your life – just to get an idea of what happens when you really carve out the junk food.  What can it hurt (besides your willpower?)

Anyway, I wanted to bring it up at the two week mark – because I realize a lot of us need ample prep/acceptance time for this type of challenge.  It’s not easy, but it’s certainly going to have some rewards that will outweigh the pain of parting with our salted chocolate covered caramels.  Sigh…

You’re on notice.  This can be one of your New Year’s resolutions…are you in?


4 comments :

Kristi said...

I am soooo in on this one! I've really slacked off in Dec - haven't set foot in the gym & my eating...while keeping the golden arches aglow, my pants hate me.

shelley said...

OK...I am with you again on this one. Don't mean to show you up,but we have also decided to do no spending also. Thanks for letting us have time to get used to the idea....I am such a baby about this stuff, you know, stuff that is mature and good for you.

BTW...mayo and fries is my fave!!

Brandi said...

Yep...I'm in on this one, too. I've been trying for MONTHS to lose 15 lbs. and I'm getting NOWHERE! Maybe this will be just the jumpstart I need. I'll try to blog, but sadly make no promises. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous said...

I've been holding out for this challenge of yours - and cannot wait to begin! I'm out of school until the end of January, so it's the perfect time! I'm looking forward to following along with others!