September 24, 2007

Harvest Moon and More...

First of all, I'm gonna need this house. Yes, indeedy. I'll just take it and put a few plump pumpkins in front of that door, and perhaps a few layers of Autumn garland around that door frame...yes, I'm thinking that will certainly warm up my new entry way.

If you're thinking for a moment that this is my house, I've mislead you. Alas...it's just a picture of a beautiful inviting home surrounded by the colors and symbols of Fall. And as we've already covered, I love Fall best of all!

No matter, I can at least impart some of my borrowed juicy advice of ways you too can create a sensationally warm and inviting abode during this most pleasant time of year.

For starters, let's warm you up with this simple but exquisite recipe for Autumn Spiced Cider!






1/2 gallon apple cider
2 cups orange juice
3-3" cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
zest of 1 orange
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1.4 tsp. ground allspice

Bring all the ingredients to a boil, boil for 15 minutes. Strain through fine mesh into a thermos or back into the pan. Serve hot!

Meanwhile, back to some good old fashioned "Sweater Weather" ideas...(on loan from my Fall Goddess, Susan Branch)
  • Keep an old sweater on a hook near the door ~ run outside to see the birds, the moon, lie under a tree as leaves fall with your kids or special someone.

  • Visit a corn-maze or plan a hayride & end the day with a bonfire & roasted marshmallows. No place for a bonfire? Get a fire going in that fireplace and have a ball!

  • Choose the PERFECT PUMPKIN at a farm stand or pumpkin farm ~ then have a taffy pull outdoors.
  • Leaf peep in your own neighborhood or plan a special trip to the famously gorgeous New England & watch the leaves change color around old churches and graveyards. On the back roads of this amazing state, you will find roadside stands, American flags, covered bridges, and restaurants in old houses.

How about a picnic this Sunday? Or next? Take an old basket and fill it with these yummy delights...

Autumn Picnic Menu

Roast Beef and Cucumber Cream Cheese Sandwiches

Potato Salad

Warm Bean Salad

Pork Ribs (yum!)

Deviled Eggs

Corn Bread

Ice Cream

Apple or Peach Pie

Arnold Palmers

(To Make "Arnold Palmers" mix together 2 parts iced tea with 1 part lemonade)



By the way - Wednesday is Harvest Moon! Don't forget to celebrate by hauling a cozy blanket out to the backyard or local park to celebrate our glorious moon and stars. (Not to mention celebrating the ones you love to cuddle with!)

Happy Fall ~



4 comments :

Kim said...

I'll be right over for dinner...
HA HA
Wonderful post...
Love the pictures..
Take care
Kim

Unknown said...

You have got me hooked. I find the neatest things here, thinking I want, things I dream about, things I remember..

You and your blog rock!

Lili said...

HAPPY MOON FESTIVAL!!!

I agree, Fall IS wonderful.

Love your Fall enthusiasm and pictures ... you may have inspired me to go buy some Fall Colored Mums to put on my front porch. (unfortunately, we don't have leaves falling in the desert).

-Lili

P.S. Read THE HISTORIAN - highly recommend it. Reading SNOW FLOWER in December. Reading DIGGING TO AMERICA (by Anne Tyler) next!

Elise said...

Totally lovin' all those pics! Fall is my all time favorite time of year! I just wish I had more time this year to enjoy it. The picture of the house...love it...could so see you and all your little kiddos coming out of it with their costumes on and pumpkins all lit up! Fun, fun, fun!