January 29, 2010

I can see the moon...

First of all - we're in Hong Kong and WE HAVE BLOGGER!  Omg.  I was having withdrawal on that travel site we set up.  It was so hard to post and maneuver around, and put up pictures...ugh.  So glad to be back here and didn't expect to this soon - but heck!  Why not?

We left Guangzhou this morning and made a trek via train to Hong Kong.  The train was a double decker, very clean, and the ride was smooth and lovely.  We really enjoyed it!  I'm so glad we didn't take a plane.  It was only a two-hour ride, and so much cheaper.  Half the price and way more roomy and comfortable than a plane.  Yay!

After arriving, we made our way through customs, etc. and really found ourselves to have already left China in so many ways.  It's very different here.  For starters, they have lanes on the road that they actually use.  That's sarcasm for the drivers still in China using those lines as "suggestions" rather than defined driving space.  Oy!

Most of the people here speak English - which is nice.  Obviously, it's just easier on us since we're on our own for the first time since arriving in China.  Without the help of our guide to translate and help us navigate a little bit, we were a little bit relieved to find that most of what we've experienced in HK seems to be very Western.  A nice treat at the end of a long trip...
Our hotel is the Marriott SkyCity and it's just outstanding.  I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone traveling to HK.  First of all, it's right on the ocean.  So yeah.  There's THAT.  Second, it's at the airport - so it's super easy.  Third, it's gorgeous.  The room...it's just a piece of HOME that we weren't planning on.  The bed is SOFT people.  There must be ten down pillows on that bed.  Oh.  My. Gawd.  I wanted to cry.  The room is nice and cool, and you can actually control the temperature for once.  (Don't get me started...they don't let you control anything...not even your room temp.)  The bed is HUGE.  They brought me a lovely Graco pack-n-play for Keira - all made up and adorable.  The room itself is just classy...very nicely designed, the bathroom is amazing, and our room looks out over the ocean.  So awesome...we had no idea.  Just expected another so-so hotel experience, since we didn't have anything to do with choosing the hotels. 

In fact, once we saw our room/hotel - I was actually glad we had an extra night just to get some much needed rest and relaxation.  We ordered room service, because we're too sick to go out.  The food was just wonderful - another little piece of home.  We have nothing left in us.  We wanted to explore the city...my friends, it was not gonna happen.  All we could think about was medication and rest

So here we are, and it's actually quite late for us.  Anton and Keira are fast asleep, and I should be too.  But I just couldn't get over that we had all of the websites that have been blocked to us for over two weeks.  So exciting!  Facebook, Blogger, and e-mail...oh my!  I could shed a tear...(tee hee)

I looked out the window tonight and up in the sky, for the first time in over two weeks, I saw the moon.  I actually saw sky.  Friends, you do not realize how much you miss clean skies until they are no more.  What a wonderful sight that beautiful moon was for my homesick eyes...haven't seen the sun since the first day we landed.  Double oy!  Kind of depressing...

We leave tomorrow morning to head back on our long journey home.  Half dreading the long flights with an infant, but so relieved to be heading HOME, and overwhelmingly happy to get to see our boy.  I can tell you that more than a tear or two have been shed over missing that little guy.

Even though we leave on Saturday morning in Hong Kong - we actaully travel back in time.   Not too often you can say that.  So even though we travel greater than 24 hours total - we still get home tomorrow night.  Isn't that great?  We'll be so tired and it will be bedtime for us all - hope we can make the most of that!

I did want to ask for prayers for those of you that can/do/will:  we are still sick.  In fact, Anton and I are so depleted that today was almost our biggest challenge.  You know we must be sick when we're so happy to have a day to rest before coming home.  As badly as we miss home, we are quite miserable physically.  To be blunt - I've been throwing up for two days.  Ack.  There you have it.   I know, too much info.  But I want you to understand what we're facing so that you know how to pray.  Anton, bless his amazing heart, has carried Keira all over China - and pretty much had to wait on me daily.  This has taken a toll, and now he's out for the count.  Breathing is not something you necessarily think too much about.  But here...you think about it.  And we aren't able to breathe very easily.  Whatever we had or have...it's gotten worse.  My breathing in particular is extremely labored.  Our chests are full of congestion, and our coughs are non-stop.  That is the reason, I believe for the vomiting.  Too much crap in my lungs and chest and my stomach is just upset all the time.

We are dreading the flights, because I can't seem to keep food down, can't breath, Anton's nose is completely stuffed up, - and I have to tell you, we've been on anti-biotics the entire trip.  We're not hatching some horrible plague.  We were feeling sickly before we came.  It's just compounded daily.  The air quality here is a force to be reckoned with.  If you're planning a trip over here, I would highly recommend bringing along an inhaler and a lightweight face-mask.  It could only help you.  I wish to God we had those with us right now...

I'm drinking lots of water, so I'm not feeling at all dehydrated.  We are both still coughing fiercely - and it's causing those around us to feel understandably uncomfortable.  Add in a small enclosed space on a plane, and you're not the most popular people.  Add to that, an infant that doesn't exactly like us just yet...and screams at the top of her little lungs...  We need your prayers to get us home - are you getting that?   

Also, we're a little nervous about the jet-lag.  We've heard it lasts at least a week and sometimes longer.  We're going to be introducing Quint back to his home, his parents, and his new sister.  We're switching time-zones, and everything will once again be new for Keira after long hours traveling.  Anton has to return to work Wednesday, and I'll be on my own. 

So, before I sound like I'm hosting a big pity-party...I just wanted to ask for your prayers.  It's a big transition for us coming up - and I'm praying we have the health and the stamina, presence of mind, and fortitude to get through it each day with grace and wisdom.
I'll be sure to post when we're home - probably a short one on Sunday...

Thanks for loving us - we sure love you!







15 comments :

The Gang's Momma! said...

Sooo fun to see you popping back up in my Reader. Welcome Home :)

I'm praying for you, over the next 24 hours. Seriously, I will hold you up.

And I meant it - you get stuck in Newark, email me! We can help and will do all we can . . .

Hugs to you and your sick selves. I'm praying for all you mentioned . . .

Jesi Q said...

Sorry to hear you're still feeling so awful! Being sick makes EVERYTHING harder... I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts as you make the arduous journey home! Sounds like it's been an amazing trip, I followed along on your travel blog. Thanks for updating! It's always exciting to keep up with travel adventures! Safe travels and big hugs!!!

julie said...

Just checking in and I'm glad I did. I will be praying for all 4 of you.

GGHadden said...

We are thinking of you guys.........hope you feel somewhat comfortable during your long flights home. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of your blogger buddies....we loved it!

Shannon said...

I hope you both feel better soon! Best wishes on the flight home. BTW, you did the same thing we did when we picked Chloe up in 2005---take the train from Guangzhou to HK and stay at the Marriott!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you on your journey home! I can't wait for you to be home and settled in with both of your beautiful babies to snuggle! What a dream come true this truly is! Thanks for sharing all of this! Amazing! Congratulations!

Carrie said...

Christie,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I had one of the worst travel experiences ever from Ethiopia to Alaska with our boy and I wasn't even sick so I really feel for you all. The transistion will be tough but no matter how endless it all seems, this too shall pass.

I can't wait to heat that you've all made it home safe and sound and to see all four of you together as a family AT LAST!

S.Wise said...

Oh my dear. Hang in there. My prayers are with you guys. I hope you guys have the seat on the airplane with the bassinet. It makes ALL the difference in the world. Your flight will be long, but you will make it. You will. Our jet lag lasted about a week and then we started to recover. It's not terrible if you don't have to go anywhere, but if you have to function like a normal human it's hard. Just take one thing at at time... don't forget to breathe in that fresh Texas air! I hope you both feel better very soon.

Love, Steph

meme said...

Prayers for your safe return coming your way. Glad to see you back over here !!! From your Kentucky Friend

jackie said...

Praying for you guys to have a safe trip home and that you will feel better soon!! I have enjoyed following your journey and will keep visiting your blog. ((hugs))

Valerie said...

Girl, rest is the best thing you can do for yourself. Also, try taking malatonin before you go to bed to get your body regulated again to our night and day.

You've got some hurdles to clear still, but the worst is behind you.

Home makes everything better.

Love V

Mom 2 six said...

One more hurdle. Hoping for the best. No place like home and family.

Sara said...

Glad to read that you safely made it home. Hope you are both feeling better. I'm sure you are so happy to finally be home with your little boy and new baby girl!!

Eloise said...

Oh, Christie, my heart just aches for you as I read about how sick you and Anton are. I am hopeful that the cure is some gulps of good ol' Texas air, generous hugs from familiar friends, extended cuddling with your precious son and a good night's sleep in your own bed.

I saw Robyn's picture of Keira on Facebook, so I know you made it back safely. Hope you are resting and healing now. Look forward to your first post from home.

XOXO

Michele said...

Hoping that the trip home was gentle on all of you and that you are on the mend both physically and emotionally very soon! Time to call all of the troops in to help (clean, cook, laundry) so you can get well!