October 11, 2011

Today was the day… 10.11.00

So it was 11 years ago.  Anton was teaching middle school and I arranged to get off of work to come and see his students perform a new play during Chapel, because it was really important to him and to the kids that I be there.  So there I sat, several rows back from the front and off to the side. 

When the play ended, Anton got up to speak to the student body about what the play they had just seen was really about.  Trying to connect the dots and show them how God’s hand was always in his life and is always in their own lives.  In fact, he said…what better proof could he have, than that God had brought a wonderful woman into his heart – and that woman (who was now being ushered to the front by two students) had been a reminder in his life that God is in the business of details – knowing exactly who we need and bringing us our perfect match.

The rest is blurry.  I sat on a stool at the front.  The children were ooh’ing and aah’ing.  Anton was walking slowly around me, listing out all the ways that I had made him want to be a better man, and before I could understand I looked to the back of the church and saw my family – standing against the wall – cameras and video cams in hand – smiling from ear to ear and waving to me.  Then I knew.

I turned my eyes back to AB and he was kneeling saying “so, I have a question to ask you” – which was followed by thunderous applause and roars from the students and the staff and my family…and anyone else who happened to be in the room.

I started to cry.  I covered my mouth.  My heart was pounding so hard and so loud, I was SURE the entire West Coast was hearing it.

“Would you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Overwhelming emotion gave way to humor…and I looked to the students and shrugged saying “I don’t know…what do YOU think?”  They cheered unanimously. 

I said “Coach B…I would love to marry you”

And there it was.  Just like that.  One of the best days and moments of my life.  Followed by our amazing wedding.  Buying our first home.  Having our son placed in our arms for the first time.  And being given the amazing gift of our Keira Joy.  So many milestones that all hinged on that single moment in time.  On that one question.

A moment…a day…a decision…that is permanently etched on the inside of my wedding ring…”October 11, 2000”

That night we celebrated at Morton’s Steakhouse, looking young and happy and full of life.  I cherish these pictures taken right before we left for that dinner – my beautiful ring shining on my finger.  Knowing full well every time I look at them…a million different decisions, moments, chances leading up to meeting Anton could have changed these pictures.  Eleven years later and I still think to myself; I could have missed this.  Even through the rough times.  The ups and the downs.  The pain and the joy.  AB is my other half in every way.  We have built a life together, one day at a time and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

10-11-2000 Proposal-rev2

Thank God for the blessing of His unending attention to detail and knowing exactly who we need. 

Love you, AB.  I love you back.  I’m proud to be your wife.

10-11-2000 Proposal 2-rev

5 comments :

Teresa said...

Wow what an amazing thing for those kids to witness... and how romantic of him to think of inviting ll those people to share in it..

Catherine said...

Absolutely beautiful and what a great testimony to all those kids who were able to experience it with you!

Ashley said...

So sweet~ what a great memory! Congrats!

Nila said...

I love these pictures. I don't think I've ever seen them. What a treasure, you look SO happy!! I'm so glad that God brought such a wonderful man into your life and that he makes you so happy. Our old pastor always said that dad and I were going to have the Cinderella wedding and life......but I think my daughter does "indeed" have it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I love you sweetie.
Mom

Briana's Mom said...

What a beautiful proposal!!!!