August 20, 2010

Insignificant

Do you ever feel like you live your life in a bubble of Venti half-caf cappuccinos, car washes, and mall visits?  Errands and chores, trips to the grocery store to stock up, play-dates, and one day bleeding quickly into the next?

Sometimes I feel greatly convicted about the riches of my life.  The things I take for granted.  The way that I take them for granted.

Never more did I feel this than when we returned from Ethiopia and even from China. 

All about me.  All about what I want and need.  All about not being too inconvenienced.  

Gimme.  Gimme.  Gimme.  New houses.  New cars.  New clothes.  That's our culture.  I want this.  I want that.

We wouldn't know sacrifice if it came and smacked us all on the head.

We gave up cable last year as a way to save money.  We don't even have local channels.  Nothing.  Felt like this nice big "sacrifice" at the time.

You know what?  It's insignificant.  Completely insignificant.

What have we become when these things are out of sight and so out of mind?  What have we become to do nothing?

I'm convicted.  I'm burdened in my spirit.  It certainly makes me wonder what God would have my family do.

No more words.  Just go here.

The Journey


and here


The Hands and Feet


Philippians 2:4 ~ Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Proverbs 21:13 ~ Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.

John 13:34-35 ~ A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

3 comments :

Renate said...

I don't even know what to say. So awful. I always thought by this time we would have done away with this kind of pain and injustice. When will the world come together as one and make sure a child never has to feel this pain again? When?

Cate said...

Wow! I'm with you on our get, get, get society. Reading "Three Cups of Tea" and "Stones into Schools" rocked my world.

Holly said...

I understand. It is SO hard to live in the world and not OF the world.
Sometimes I have trouble enjoying my life knowing how much suffering is going on that I am mostly ignorant about...how truly insignificant my own inconveniences and pains really are. I don't even GO to the mall. Been there 2 or maybe 3 times in the 5 years we've lived here- no joke. We bargain shop and do kids' consignments and even then..only ON sale :) It is a way of life, but then we have internet and 2 cars and money to eat out once in awhile. We are SO spoiled.
My biggest struggle is not judging others for how they choose to spend their money. It is easy to do but only God knows our hearts.
Whenever I read Katie's blog I am just amazed. She's doing it. She's LIVING it. And yet, our callings too are holy- raising the next generation in the fear of the Lord and giving to ministries like Amazima and going- when the Lord calls.
Much to ponder. Too easy to get caught up in the here and now.
Thanks for the links.